Though meditation has been around for thousands of years, it’s only now that meditation is becoming mainstream. Even the conservative medical community is singing the praises of meditation. Meditation is a simple and free tool that can enhance your life in many ways. If you’ve considered meditation but decided against it, now is the time to reconsider.
Meditation can enhance your life in many ways:
1. Meditation can increase self-confidence. Meditation can help to remove self-doubt and self-criticism. You will become more accepting of your shortcomings. When you are able to accept yourself, you believe that others will accept you, too.
2. Meditation reduces stress and anxiety. During meditation, you focus on something to the exclusion of all other thoughts. It’s not possible to feel stressed about your finances or your love life when 100% of your attention is focused on something else. You develop the ability to regulate and moderate your emotions through meditation.
3. Meditation provides a method for learning about yourself. Most of us possess a certain amount of blindness when it comes to our thoughts, behaviors, and tendencies. Meditation encourages self-examination and detachment.
4. Meditation can help you to see the truth. Meditation seeks to remove all of your preconceived ideas and put your emotions on the back burner. Without the influence of your beliefs and emotions, it’s much easier to catch a glimpse of reality. Your ability to make effective and intelligent decisions will grow.
5. Meditation gives your brain a rest. Your brain is constantly working. There’s not one moment of the day your brain isn’t running at full speed. Even while you’re dreaming, your brain is busy creating your dreams.
· When you become an effective meditator, your brain finally gets a chance to rest. You’ll be surprised how good just five minutes of meditation can feel. Many experienced meditators find that one minute of meditation per hour is very beneficial.
6. Meditation can improve concentration. Most forms of meditation require focusing on a thought or object, commonly your breath. All of this concentration practice will bleed over into other parts of your life. You become good at what you practice.
7. Meditation can make you more accepting of others. When you’re more able to see your own shortcomings compassionately, you’ll extend that same compassion to others. What would happen if everyone took the time to meditate?
8. Meditation can prolong your life. Meditation has been shown to slow the aging process, both physical and mental. It’s possible this could increase longevity. At the very least, you’ll feel, look, and think better!
9. Meditation can boost your level of creativity. By eliminating your negative thoughts and beliefs, you’ll have greater access to your creative abilities. Lower levels of stress also increase the opportunity to put your mind to good use. You might be a lot more creative than you’ve given yourself credit for in the past!
10. Meditation can enhance your health. In a 2008 study, 40 of 60 patients were able to eliminate the need to take blood pressure medication after learning to meditate. Meditation has also been shown to enhance the function of the immune system. Consider that one of the signs of aging is a decrease in immune function.
Meditation is one of the most powerful self-development tools available. A short meditation session each day can provide profound results. The benefits aren’t limited to your psychology. Studies have demonstrated physical benefits, too. Consider adding meditation to your daily routine for 30 days and see the results for yourself.